Can you change your name during an uncontested divorce in Alabama

Can you change your name during an uncontested divorce in Alabama


Undergoing a divorce can often bring about significant changes in a person’s life, including the desire to change their name. If you are going through an uncontested divorce in Alabama and wish to change your name, you may wonder if it is possible to do so as part of the divorce process. In this blog post, we will explore whether you can change your name during an uncontested divorce in Alabama and provide you with essential information to consider.

In Alabama, the legal process of changing your name is separate from the divorce process. Changing your name requires filing a petition for a name change with the probate court in the county where you reside. This process involves specific requirements and procedures.

Although you cannot directly change your name as part of the uncontested divorce process in Alabama, you can take steps to streamline the process:

  • Jointly agree on the name change: If you and your spouse both agree to the name change, you can include a provision in your divorce agreement stipulating the desired name change. This provision should outline the new name you wish to adopt.
  • Update divorce decree: Once your divorce is finalized, you can request a modification to the divorce decree to include the provision for the name change. This updated decree can then be used as supporting documentation when applying for a name change separately.

To legally change your name, you will need to follow the specific name change procedures in Alabama:

  • Obtain the necessary forms: Contact the probate court in your county or visit their website to obtain the appropriate forms for a name change petition.
  • Complete the petition: Fill out the petition accurately, providing your current legal name, desired new name, and reasons for the name change.
  • File the petition
  • Attend a court hearing

Once your name change is approved by the court, you will need to update various records and notify relevant parties, such as:

  • Social Security Administration: Notify the Social Security Administration of your new name, ensuring that your Social Security card reflects the change.
  • Driver’s license and identification: Visit the Alabama Department of Public Safety to update your driver’s license or state identification card.
  • Financial institutions and other records: Inform banks, credit card companies, utility providers, and other relevant entities of your name change to ensure your records are updated.

Helpful Tips and Resources

  • Be consistent in using your new name across all your personal and professional records to avoid confusion.
  • Keep a copy of your certified divorce decree handy, as you may need it to prove your name change in various situations.
  • For more information on name changes during an uncontested divorce in Alabama, visit the Alabama State Judiciary website, or consult with a local family law attorney.

While you cannot directly change your name during an uncontested divorce in Alabama, you can include a provision in your divorce agreement for a name change. After finalizing your divorce, you can then follow the legal process of petitioning for a name change through the probate court. By understanding the separate steps involved and complying with the specific requirements, you can successfully change your name in Alabama and embrace a fresh start after your uncontested divorce. If you have any uncertainties or questions, consult with an attorney familiar with name change procedures to guide you through the process.