All gemstones look natural, but they are artificial. The most apparent difference between a diamond and cubic zirconia is that the former is pure carbon, and the latter contains less than one percent of natural diamond. However, other differences in their appearance and origin make these two gems very difficult to tell apart.
WHAT IS A DIAMOND?
Diamonds have been acclaimed as the most beautiful of gemstones. The diamond gemstone is almost flawless. The diamond’s hardness is better than either quartz or sapphire, and it is a powerful, durable and brilliant gem. Online Jewelry Buyers believe that diamonds are the most popular gemstones, and they are suitable for a variety of jewelry applications.
WHAT IS CUBIC ZIRCONIA?
Cubic zirconia is a gem material that is manufactured to simulate diamonds. It does not possess brilliance, lustre or the hardness of diamond. It is challenging for untrained eyes to distinguish genuine diamonds from cubic zirconias. While it does not have a chemical composition similar to that of diamond, cubic zirconia has been known as “fake” diamond. Cubic Zirconia is an artificial jewel created by combining zirconium oxide with elemental hafnium.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CUBIC ZIRCONIA VS DIAMOND?
- Diamonds are made by nature, whereas cubic zircons are manufactured by humans in laboratories.
- At a glance, one could mistake diamonds for cubic zircons because both have thin rims around their stone.
- According to Online Jewelry Buyers, the way in which a diamond is created makes it hard to distinguish from cubic zirconia. The most obvious difference between the two gems is that real diamonds are made up of pure carbon whereas cubic zirconias contain only one percent of real diamonds.
- According to Online Jewelry Buyers, cubic zirconias also have a smaller degree of luster than diamonds and their color is not as brilliant.
- Cubic zirconia has a similar weight and refractive index to that of a diamond.
- Both have a hardness rating of 9 on the Mohs scale.
WHICH ONE IS PREFERRED THE MOST OUT OF CUBIC ZIRCONIA AND DIAMOND?
According to Online Jewelry Buyers, both of the gemstones are popular when compared to other gems. Diamonds are more brilliant and beautiful than cubic zirconias, and therefore more people like real diamonds.
- Real diamond is of course more expensive than cubic zirconia; but it gives you the worth of your money because it can be worn for a lifetime.
- Cubic zirconia is also a valuable gemstone with a spectacular luster that can rival that of diamond. You can easily find these fake diamonds in most parts of the world and they are less expensive than genuine diamond.
While naturally occurring, diamonds have many inclusions and fissures caused by their formation, cubic zirconia is flawless. The main reason why cubic zirconias are not as popular as diamonds, is that artificial diamond is less expensive. Another factor which weighs against this gemstone is the fact that it looks fake, thus, it is difficult to distinguish from real diamonds.
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN BUYING A DIAMOND OR CUBIC ZIRCONIA:
- You should buy a diamond or cubic zirconia stone only if you have the required skills to assess the quality element in each of them.
- Online Jewelry Buyers suggest that when buying diamonds or cubic zirconias, one should ask for a certificate of appraisal from jewelers. The certificate should contain information about the shape and size of the diamonds or cubic zirconias, as well as its weight, color and clarity measures.
- Another important thing to consider is that both diamond and cubic zirconia only come in two colors: white and yellowish white.
- Online Jewelry Buyers suggest that you should buy a diamond or cubic zirconia knowing about its properties. For instance, diamonds can be worn for long periods of time whereas cubic zirconias are as durable as real diamonds but they do not have the same brilliance.
- While buying a real diamond or a cubic zirconia online, you should stay away from counterfeit diamonds or fake solutions. The world has been getting better at detecting fakes and they are hard to fool with.
- If you are planning to sell a diamond or cubic zirconia, it is important that you know your item first so that you can sell it in the market cheapest possible price.
According to Online Jewelry Buyers, the most obvious difference between a diamond and cubic zirconia is that real diamonds are made up of pure carbon, while cubic zirconias contain only one percent of real diamonds. However, there are other differences in their appearance and origin which make these two gems very difficult to tell apart. Both have a similar weight and refractive index to that of diamond. Cubic zirconia does not possess the brilliance or luster found in diamond, but it has been known as “fake” diamond due to its chemical composition similar to that of real diamond. This makes it very difficult for untrained eyes to distinguish genuine from cubic zirconia. After going through this article on Online Jewelry Buyers, you will be able to tell the difference between a diamond and cubic zirconia. It is important that one get well-acquainted with both gemstones in order to make a good choice.